The Auburn Tigers hit the practice field for the first organized practice of this fall camp. Several key scenarios are brewing throughout the roster, including a quarterback battle, what the wide receiver rotation looks like, who are the five starting offensive linemen, and what will the defensive backfield look like?
Keep in mind that these are just 20 minute observations from the first practice of fall camp. Read whatever you want.
– TJ Finley was the first with the starters. Next to Tank Bigsby and John Samuel Shenker. He threw a great pass to Shenker, then to his left to Malcolm Johnson Jr., then made a great pass on a blistering drive to Shedrick Jackson.
– Zach Calzada went with the second unit. Thrown to Ze’Vian Capers for a touchdown.
– Then Calzada went with the team’s first attack in the same exercise.
– From left to right, the starting offensive line was Kilian Zerier, Kam Stutts, Nick Brahms, Keiondre Jones, Austin Troxell.
– From left to right, the second offensive line was Zerier, Brandon Council, Tate Johnson, Alec Jackson, Austin Troxell.
– Bryan Harsin then addressed the media and made a “No hat” joke referencing Hat-Gate’s first anniversary, then gave members of the media a t-shirt that read, “I went to the Auburn football practice and all I got that War Dam shirt.”
– The capers look huge.
– Jackson seems to have worked a lot this summer.
– Auburn linebacker Cam Riley is very impressive physically.
– Cornerback Jaylin Simpson played a voice role with the DBs.
– In the tight ends drill against the linebackers, the order in which the tight ends went was Shenker, Luke Deal, Tyler Fromm and Brandon Frazier. In the same drill, linebacker Eugene Asante went first for defense.
– Zion Puckett moved well. Looks bigger.
In 1 vs 1 – WR vs DB
– Simpson beat Jackson on a pass from Calzada.
– Johnson Jr. had a big problem against Calzada’s Nehemiah Pritchett
– Ja’Varrius Johnson beat Marquis Gilbert on a pass from Calzada.
– Capers got a ton of separation on a road against DJ James on a pass from Finley.
– Moore was wide open in a rep for Cayden Bridges on a pass from Finley.
– JD Rhym got the better of Tommy Nesmith on a pass from Finley.
– Donovan Kaufman won a rep against Ta’varish Dawson.
– Finley missed an easy slot end for Ja’Varrius Johnson.
– Calzada threw a super ball to Johnson Jr.
– The last rep we saw was Calzada launching a strike on a sewing road in Koy Moore. It was beautiful.
We will have a similar message after practice on Saturday.
Engage with Auburn Daily on social media!
Join the Discord
Like Auburn Daily on Facebook
Subscribe to Locked On Auburn on YouTube
Buy Auburn Daily Merch